From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Monday, May 12, 2008

food poisoning and design ideas

While I was sick in bed yesterday* I dreamed up design ideas and decorating schemes. Wen I woke up I asked Scott to get a sketch pad and a pencil. Space always seems SO much bigger in my dreams.

We went to the Skembo's for dessert** and Mike asked if I dreamed up ideas for my plot to decorate James' home when I visit. Um nope, but I sure did after that. James if you get this gimme a call. Right now. Don't dally and get distracted! I need your permission to go crazy with ideas... and room sizes :P

*it was probably more a emotional poisoning than food...
** Andrew was baptized and Craig and Concie were in town, so even ash faced as I was we went to say prayers and give talks at the baptism and eat pudding afterwards.

2 comments:

Janika said...

And we're so glad you did. Hope you are feeling better.

Yamaha Drummer said...

That's right! Order James around, it's good for him!