From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Monday, May 26, 2008

Arren, speaking in the 3rd person, does not do Benedril

Arren cannot even spell it.

I have been having problems with itching. It reallllly sucks.

About a month ago I shaved my legs and had this huge itch attack. Broke out in a rash the length of my legs, the works. When I started shaving way years and years back, I had this issue EVERY TIME I would bring a razor to proximity to my skin. I've got scars in my armpits from attempts to be a presentable teen... vs myself.

Not those kind of scars.

Just the kind where I had to plan when I would shave, time it out just right, and then do it the night before so I could be done with the blood spots from where the skin was cut along with the hair.

I'm not dumb. I had a doctor look at it and I was not shaving wrong. Or with a dull blade or whatever. I just have a problem with my skin. and my hair. and sharp shiny things.

Any whoo, I don't have those scars on my legs because I actually have a remarkable skin regeneration rate. Akin to Wolverine. Perhaps that's why I like him the best...

I've never had a really lasting problem with simple self mutilation, because I heal fast and don't scar easily. But that is not the point. And neither is the fact that I have scars under my arms because I'd get good and gory from shaving and then keep it gory by friction and moisture.

Nope, the point is that I dealt and dealt with my shaving experiences for so many years that I had learned how to get around the rash attacks. If I only shave this far up, then I have no problem. When I shave, DON'T put lotion on after... Never allow fabric or any amount of friction to come into contact for about 10 hours after shaving. etc.

Competive swimming was an embarrassing and uncomfortable 9 years. (Eventually I found out that plucking, while it does sting a bit more at first, can be a blessed alternative to shaving certain areas. Yeah it's gross. I could go into more detail, but I don't want any unnecessary puke. You're welcome.)

So I have not had a rash in over 4 or 5 years, Until last month.

SUCK!

I though it was a fluke because I did everything wrong. I had not waited long enough since the last time I shaved and I was cold etc.

Because most of my clothes are in the laundry I only had pants to wear, so I didn't shave for a month. My legs had gone from smooth to prickly to so much hair it's 'soft' again and all the way back to prickly. The rash had finally calmed down (it took the entire month) and I though it was safe to shave again. WRONG!

I got out of the shower and was in immediate discomfort. I put cooling lotion on and danced around on one foot and then the other to no avail. Finally I just sat down and scratched everywhere I itched. I had to clean out my nails about three times before Scott saw that I was about to start bleeding from the amount of scratching and made me stop. He suggested a Benedryl to stop the itching.

I popped two tiny pink pills and tried not to scratch. It was hard. We went to church and I sat down in the foyer. There were people playing with babies and chatting and I sat and watched them. I could hardly do more than that. If I moved I itched and I had agreed to not scratch off more skin, so I just didn't move.

Some people said hi... I think Mike asked if I was being anti-social, because I was not standing around, standing, hah!, and talking about some crap I don't really care about (<- evidence I'm still in a bad mood). I told him I was sleepy. I really was. Very sleepy. I slept the last two hours of church in the foyer and six more hours in my bed at home after that. And when I woke up I STILL ITCHED!!! AAAHHHH!


I'm terribly and completely frustrated with this body, why can't I have one that works?


However there is no evidence of the 1/8" of skin I lost earlier in the day. And the Case's let me borrow their Paul Mitchel tee tree lotion stuff and their Gold bond anti itch stuff to see if one of those help. I'm terribly skeptical.

AND I slep for about 12 hours last night and I'm STILL tired!!! Stupid crap Benedryl making me sleepy on my first day off in 3 freaking months!

4 comments:

Janika said...

The exhaustion/fatigue should wear off by the end of the third month. The odd reactions and exacerbated emotional states will continue for about 9 months, then there will be a whole new host of issues. I'm excited for you. *Giggle*

Janika said...

PS Are you having to pee a lot?

Unknown said...

LOL, oh dear.

No. And aside from the fact that I'm a wreck nothing is solidified.

But thanks!

Yamaha Drummer said...

LOL, Nice and subtle Janika! I'm not gonna add my two cents, because I've never been pregnant...