From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Monday, May 26, 2008

don't forget to post about the good things too!

I've been given this council by good people with good intentions, so I figured i'd give it a go. However, I don't feel like being grammatically correct. so no capitals! ha! that's right i'm sticking it to the man!!

giggle, giggle.

I slept in today. Whoops I guess my typing at work is helping my capitolization... i'll let it pass. (I will also let pass the many funny spelling errors. :D )
When i woke up, Scott was already awake and out of bed. I reallly slept in today. I was having this amazing magic dream. The part I remember most vividly at the moment was the baddie from the other camp, we were not quite at war yet, was making magical brass cross- thing that would make their arrows un breakable. But he was spinning them out like a machine gun. My tutor was showing me this because I needed to get my magic up to par. It was fun and dramatic and I have not had a dream i rememeber nor a magical dream in way way too long.

Around two we got together with Ken and Miranda Erickson who live across the street and went to their friends house. It turns out that (I hope I'm getting names right) Matt Stevens and Houston Harris were mission companions. Small world, eh? He and his wife, Jessie, (who is my age)are a really fun couple. We hung out at their house until another couple arrived swapping 'how we met' stories. then everyone loaded into cars and drove back to our apartment and we fired up the grill and had delicious bacon wrapped shrimp and hotdogs and pork chops and fajitas meat and pistachio jello salad and strawberry jello salad and this most delicious potato salad and chips and guacamole and the generic condiments and cool beverages, I had this yummy high fructose corn suryp free cherry drink, and I feel like I am missing other foods because we all ate and were full and the Skembo's joined us and ate and then all the boys had seconds and there was still leftovers! It was pretty freakin great food.

The party finally broke up after the pool lights went on, everyone was tired and hot and cooled off from the pool and heated back up again from the hot tub and cooled off again by the breeze. Which is just about the perfect temperature to be. Now we are inside and I've gold bonded myself and when I don't move i don't itch. I'm pretty ready for bed.

Ah sleep is most beautiful!

PS Goldbond is REALLY stinky!

4 comments:

Yamaha Drummer said...

Must go easy on the Gold Bond... Without being gross, I will say that I used it religously when I worked at Pepsi, and if you use to much it turns into Plummer's Putty.

Janika said...

Love the dream. I had a non-magical warfare dream the night before last, as well. Mike and a few men were important players--soldiers, even. It means we are engaged in the same war.

Yamaha Drummer said...

I'm scared someone is going to break into "Love is a Battlefield"...

Unknown said...

HA!

I was just about to...

:P