From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Monday, July 28, 2008

I have slept on a wide variety of pillows and positions in my life.

I got to the point that I really liked sleeping on a flat surface, ie no pillow, and I remember seeing commercials for mattresses and the actress would be curled up and using the actors arm as a pillow. It looked SO uncomfortable.

Then I moved on to big pillows. I would sleep on my side and have lots of support. Now when I watched those commercials, I could see how that would be comfortable. Granted all the actors had huge biceps. Mmm.

Then I got married. Um, Scott is fit, but not bulky like those actors. I was kinda worried to tell the truth!

But as cliche as it sounds, he fit's just right.

BUT now I have to sleep practically Upright. Now I can't use my human pillow. Nap times are nice, after church or whatever, because I don't get to a deep enough sleep to not breathe. So I can cuddle then.

3 comments:

Janika said...

Oh, dear. Nothing you think is comfortable now will make sense in a few months. You may need a pillow behind you back, one to hug in front, another between your legs and a big fat one (or two) for your head--elevation will keep the heartburn down--btw when the time comes, I have a bunch of leftover TUMS that I won't have much use for.

Q said...

Lucky you. I have to use 3 pillows a night to get comfortable nowadays, and not all of them are under my head. :(

Janika said...

By the way, your baby is naked. You should put some clothes on her.