From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Friday, July 25, 2008

what a wonderful feeling!

Janika and Mike *forced* me to read Twilight.

Yesterday i was musing over how I felt about the book on my way to book club. I figured that since I didn't read the book for book club, I should at least think about A book on my way.

This is the summation of my musing:

I love it! I enjoy the books (it's a series of four, the fourth book will come out next month)more than I have enjoyed a book since 7th grade.

In 7th grade Becca Suter lent me a book she was reading. I loved this book so much I went out and bought it for myself. Twice. The book is "Beauty" by Robin McKinley. ( for years I didn't know she wrote other books... but last year when I did find out, I gobbled up a lot of them. So far my other favorite is Deerskin.)

I'm not SURE what makes these books so precious to me, but for years and years (until I was married actually)"Beauty" was my most favorite book. I could go on and on about what happened and why it was not so ... enchanting to me, but I'm cooking mac and cheese and I only have a hour break for lunch... Somehow after I was married, the magic fell out. I could read it, but I was not discovering a new facet of the story each time I did. It was like th book suddenly went 2-D.... that's the best explanation I can give right now.

But these "Twilight" books have that magic that "Beauty" once had. It's AMAZING! I didn't realize HOW MUCH I missed that magic. It's the kind that doesn't leave when I put the book down... the kind that stays with me and keeps me dreamy all day. It's such a release. My other favorite books are favorites for different reasons. "Jane Eyre" is a favorite because It actually made me laugh out loud and cry out loud as I was reading it. Amazing. I've never done that before.

I do remember a Sesamie Street episode where Maria and elmo are reading library books and laughing and crying because of the pictures. I thought they were wierd, but after reading "jane Eyre" I feel right on the level with a three year old monster and a much older actress. :P

notes to self: Please come back and edit this!

Read that book club book and the one about food and where it comes from... Allison Seer has the titles.

1 comment:

Janika said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying them. I think there is a mood in them that affected the relationship I have with my husband. It added an element of sweetness. I look forward to reading the next one with him--and I'm glad you are making Scott read them too. Methinks he protests too much!