From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Thursday, July 10, 2008

Seattle

We've spent almost a full working week in Seattle now, and the weather could not have been more perfect. I'm almost disappointed. I was hoping to get some famous Seattle misty foggy stuff. All well. I hear that it's usually beautiful in the summer and I'm just s.o.l. unless I come during the winter. I guess we'll just have to come back. :P

It's been nice to visit family. I was totally sick with worry that the boys would not remember me, or they would not like me (from everything I've heard Alicia is so awesome, I thought I'd been replaced as the cool person...) or something.

To my relief they remembered me, but they do seem to like Alicia better. I guess that is what happens when they never see or hear from me and they see and hear from her all the time. (It still sucks!!) To her credit, Alicia is a very fun person and seems to be a wonderful girlfriend for James. We played Taboo last night and watched Transformers on the trampoline. I had a very fun time! And her enchiladas are VERRRY yummmmy!! Hopefully next time we can get more time just the adults to get to know each other better.

On another positive note, we visited with Mav and Maris and Jacob and Andrew. I gave them the web address so they could peek in and see what is oing on in our lives... and so knowing full well that they might read this: THEY ARE SO FREAKING AWESOME!! Man, Scott and I both can't get over how much fun we had with them. We ate lunch and played for eight hours. I'm still in the first trimester and therefore perma-exhausted and Maris just had Andrew (the poor little guy was circumcised on Tuesday). She looked FABULOUS. Maris is a bee-a-utiful person to begin with, but I was amazed. (Maris, if you are reading this and you have not caught on already... I think you are pretty.) The time we spent with them seemed to fly, and they seemed to actually not get bored with us. Amazing. When I saw my face in a mirror later, I was amazed to see how tired I looked. Sure I felt tired, but that's nothing new. I had so much fun that even when I'd get a bout of the sleepies, I didn't want to leave. But In addition to that, I totally felt welcome and connected like I had know them both for years. I guess technically I have.. hmm... well I felt like I had ... um... lived near them, and SEEN them for years (this was the first time I have met Maris in person and the second time I've seen Mav).

I'll be uploading pictures and stories of all our adventures, but for now I'm blogging while th big boys play volleyball. I forgot where we were for a minute, even church ball is the same no matter where you go, until someone gave Scott a sorry look when they found out he is from Texas. :)

Greyson's birthday party is tomorrow morning, and I need to go find a bookstore to get his present from. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Coppell RS said...

Hi other people that I don't know who might read and comment--Arren says you are pretty. I haven't gotten to see her in three weeks because of how our vacations overlapped. I miss her.