From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Thursday, July 19, 2007

Raf / Ann Taylor Loft / kids

While working at the Loft last night my manager Raf, and I had a great time catching up on our lives. I have not worked with him in about 2 months.

It was really fun. He is one of those poeple I really connect with... like a bosom friend... from Ann of Green Gables... [edit, the phrase is different for this kind of friendship; bosom friends share you deepest secrets and stuff like that. Raf is more like a Kindred Spirit. Someone with whom you feel a connection even if you have just met them.]

I had a dream where we went to his house for dinner and he had like 10 kids... He and his wife only have one daughter... it was a really fun dream.

It was super to go into work and have him come up and say HI! and give me a hug baceause he missed working with me... and to hear he thought of me as he was watching AnimalPlanet, because I like animals. and all that stuf...

James said that working there fills parts of my cup that don't get filled otherwise... He's totally right. I'm still filled the next day... It'll b a huge blow to get me off this high.

No comments: