From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Sunday, July 8, 2007

Megan asked what I meant by "ready made"...

Here you go.

"Ready made" as in I am throwing the world's largest tantrum that James is leaving... and I'm trying to pass it off like I am an adult.

"Ready made" as in I am the aunt/ surrogate mom when the boys come over. You know 'just add water (Greyson and Aidan)' and you have a complete family with uncles and cousins...well pictures of them anyways.

"Ready made" as in I'm totally up for adoption... always have been. BUT I'm the freaking bread winner here so THAT'S not gonna happen. (I'm NOT OK with our family turning into Uncle Kieth's.. where Scott is the stay at home Dad and then I die.)

"Ready made" as in I get all the advantages of "family" without going though pregnancy... which is evidently horrible in my family... or labor... or the first nine months' of sleeplessness.

"Ready made" as in I sick of the newly wed CRAP that we have been going through for three frekin years. I'm ready four our family to mature. Ready for Scott to mature. Ready for SOMETHING!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a good answer. Sounds like you're ready for a change of some sort. When's Scott gonna start winning that bread? He gave me the impression that he was doing enough massages every day to pay all the bills and then some. I'm sorry things aren't working out the way you pictured them. :(

Will James be very far away?

Unknown said...

far enough away for me to make a stink...

Michelle said...

Newlywed crap?

Unknown said...

oh, just saw this comment...
Yeah like not having money ever and the threat of evictions and no food looming over us. Not having jobs... Scott working but I don't see it... so i don't appreciate the things he is doing... and I guess these trials are making us stronger, but honestly there is never a break... no spell of clam before the next storm...Did you hear about our latest fiasco?

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

{{{HUGS}}} I'm sorry things are so rough. Let me know what I can do to help. I'm here if you need anything.