From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Tuesday, August 10, 2010

More building

I got over to Brian's parent's place about a week ago and finished with the wood. Then we brought it home so I can putty up the knots and sand out the rough patches*. I cut some pieces for a necklace hanger with th scraps and put it together today**. It did not turn out like I hoped. The wind has been let out of my sails a bit. I really hope I can make this entry way project. Without screwing it up***.

~~
*We got the cheap pine with rough bits and knots. It ended up costing me about $200 less to do it this way and I like that. Less $ is good. Knots and scratchy bits are not so good, but it's worth it.
**There are screw holes EVERYWHERE and only some of them have actual screws in them... Others are pre-drill holes that were going the wrong direction. Of the holes that have screws some of the screws are poking out of the top and others are poking through the front of the wood^. It did make a nice sturdy frame^^.
*** Ha! that's a joke because it's held together with SCREWS!
^ You may or may not see pictures... I'm not in a showing off mood right now`.
^^I finally got the frame together and then ran out of sampler screws so I hammered the back into place. The sides fit so snug I may not have to screw them in. Well I will screw them in, but I don't have to. It's a pretty tight fit.
`I see these projects that other people do for their first wood working project and I'm amazed. Even more so when they do it in a day or whatever. HOW? Do they not have toddlers getting into everything? Do they have all the tools and space for building available? What am I missing?

No comments: