From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Thursday, January 24, 2008

Yesterday I finished playing wih my pictures on the computer and shut down. But Scott wanted to see what I had done...oops.

So i pushed the power button toturn my computer back on. Nothing. I was not too worried because I was not even sure it had finished shutting down. I waited a bit and tried again. Nothing. So I tried three time in quick succession. NothingNothingNothing.

I said to Scott, is ther a cool down time on my computer before I can turn it back on?

No, why?

It won't turn on...

Scott lept from his game and started 'looking into the problem' within minutes my computer was in pieces all over the floor. I was too tired to think of taking more pictures... but he had taken the motor out and off the motherboard and had opened the fan... there were screws and all sorts of wires and what not all over.

The diagnosis was grim. I need a new power supply. (well maybe not so grim after all, but you should have seen the look on his face!)

Tomorrow He'll go to Fry's and pick one up.

I was grateful that i had not completely ruined my computer and went to bed.

In the morning Scott had piled up the computer parts in to a little stack.

I went to work.

When Scott picked me up for lunch, he had started on a big project that I have in mind for this weekend AND my computer was up and running. He had not gone to Fry's and bought a new power supply. Instead he had gone shopping in our closet. We have a upright legal size file cabinet that is filled with computer parts. Usually I moan about all the wasted space and useless junk. Well I'm not complaining today!

Thank you Scott!

No comments: