From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Babies, babies, everywhere part II

So everyone I know is pregnant. Or they JUST had a baby. And they are all girls.

Well Alison and Jen are having boys... but that's two boys out of *counting really hard* seven that I can count off the top of my head. So there are lotsa girlies out there.

And they all are wiggelers. I am hearing stories of babies kicking and squirming and punching more than normal, and in one instance breaking mom's ribs from moving so much.

And Crystal's grossly accurate and graphic description of an epidural... shudder... well right now I am glad that I don't have to worry about miscarrying, high risk-ness, twins, eight kiddos in the house, not being able to lay down, peeing all the time, hunger and no room in your abdomen for your stomach to hold food, EPIDURALS!!!, getting fat, breast feeding for the first time, not sleeping for 9 months, and rearranging our home to fit all the baby stuff. Plus what ever else I am forgetting that is yucky about being with child.

Now I understand that not everyone has complicated and or hard pregnancies and that the result is way worth the bleh, but I don't have to deal with that right now. And I am glad.

However, I miss my boys!!! My little ready-made family.

When we were in Colorado for the funeral I met Scott's other sister for the first time. She has adopted 3.5 of their 4.5 kids (The .5 is a foster daughter that they are trying to adopt). Bingo! Ready made family... to order.

I've talked with some people about fostering and adopting and it sounds like fun.

well, no... not really.

But an adventure!

To foster, here, I need 8 sq feet to dedicate to the child and a 6 week parenting class. That's it.
It sounds super easy. And foster parents are always in demand. I could even foster pregnant teens... who were disowned(?)... Cool, huh? I wouldn't do that right now... I'd have no 'mother authority' since I'm just recently an adult myself. maybe when I'm 30-ish.

However, that gets to wait until I am not a corporate working fiend.

I wonder if fostering and then adopting is cheaper than just adopting... either way I feel called to adopt. I have since we got married and started planning for our lives. But I think one is sufficient, I'll leave the 5-1000 kids to Bethany. :)

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Epidurals. Yeah. They freaked me out, which is why I was crazy enough to go through it without. So, I'm seeing the same girl trend with a lot of friends too. I'm wondering where all the boys are? Where are these girls going to find husbands? China?

Unknown said...

lol!

I guess so. OR we'll have to bring back polygamy... However if i had to choose I'd rather have two husbands than have to share one with other gals...so I'm leaning towards polyandry, I guess. :P