From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pictures from Hawai'i


Aloha! We were in Oahu, Hawai'i for Christmas and New Years.

Here is the view from the airplane. Beautiful!
And then in no order what-so-ever...

I took a nap o n our private patio and woke up to this! The state flower, Plumeria, which does smell so good.
The return of the Spearfishers... and Cece.
This was great. Scott and Cece spent several occasions doing projects like this.
We got me a big Black Pearl ring. This is a funky photo for insurance... but I think it complements my wedding ring nicely. you?

Our bathroom that everyone else used. Ah, the joys of a first floor room.
Uncle Scott and the bones of the Uhu that he caught.
Grandpa was enthralled by these white hibiscus.
Tarah and Klye buried Nicky at Lagoon 2

This is me SURFING! On the first day ever... I got up on the board and here is the proof!
Probably the most fun thing we did.

I don't know why but every time I saw this black swan, at the entrance to the resort the Co Olina resort we stayed, at she seemed to symbolize our residence.
I have other, direct pictures pictures of the Temple but we like this one. The beach is hard to see, but it's right in front of the car, just beyond the palm trees.
Here I model Aunt Mariana's wet suit. Mom and the girls and I got matching suits... and we all got the same size which is interesting if you have ever seen us together. I'll have to dig up that picture.
"What happens in Hawaii... stays with you forever"
I have never seen a fast food trash receptacle with anything other than "Thank You" or "Trash"... until you go to Subway in Kunia.
Lagoon 1 at Co Olina. Taken the first day we arrived. It's beautiful!!
shake, shake, shake, shake your body! Traditional Tahiti dancers at the Polynesian Cultural Center.
Our friends told us not to skip eating at Giovanni's and the advise was SO great. Probably the best food I ate the whole trip was at the side of the H1.
This is me... SURFING! On the first day. I promptly fell after the picture was taken, but a few hours later I was able to balance kneeling on the top of my board, surf a wave that way ALLL the way to the shore and sit down (not fall of and scramble back on) and paddle back out for another wave.

So AWESOME! It's my favorite memory.
Grandma, doing her thing.
Hanaunma Bay. We tried snorkeling here, but it was so crowded, and stormy that we could hardly see 3 feet out.
Lagoon 1, again on the first day. ME!
At the Dole Pineapple Plantation. Kyle, Scott and I ran the maze and TOTALLY beat everyone else!
Lagoon 1, Scott posing on the rocks. Those rocks were surprisingly rough, I still have holes in the soles of my feet from them.
Scott killed two flies in the kitchen... as they were flying around. I'm impressed.
You can't tell so much, but these are all cubes of fat. We ordered a beef stew and this is what we got. :(
THEN, as we got ice cream one store over there was a shooting right outside. The casing ended up in front of the car next to ours. Officer Ramerez was kind enough to let us leave, even though we were part of the crime scene. I like him. It was LATE and we were flying out the next day.
Scott and Scott showing their catch. They went night- spear fishing and we got some yummy fish. I forget which kinds.
Eating at Giovanni's
*taken from a moving vehicle* The mountains were majestic and green, and usually covered in clouds, as seen here.
My cousins on my Mom's side. Cece (Laura) Latimer, Kyle Latimer, Nicky Latimer.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Holy cow miss skinny thang! Looks like a great time!

Michelle said...

I AM having a second girl, silly! (I'm not sure if what you meant in your comment)She's due April 26th.

Bertie said...

Hey!

I love the surfing pictures and the one of you in the kitchen with the flower in your hair:) So beautiful!

Ruth said...

I'm so jealous that you got to go to Hawai'i! When we go, you'll have to come with us to show us around, now that you've already been there. Looks like you had a blast.