From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My first garden

Have I mentioned I've started a garden? It's small. Just the old rose garden from the original owners that lost the roses ans became an extension of the lawn... until I moved in. Muahahaha. This is what it looks like now.

The pumpkins are taking over. Way over. They even killed off my cilantro. Sigh. I'll have to get more cilantro, it was so yummy and I was looking forward to fresh corriander.
The tomato plant among the pumpkin. I have to go through and pull pumpkin vines off the other plants so they don't get suffocated. I also need to weed, but you can't really see that when the pumpkin leaves are so big.

Lettuce variety. Yumm.

We got packets of Zinnias just for a splash of color and the lady at the seed rack said her grand children planted them because they always came up. They are so fun!

Indoors I am having success with seeds too. In the white pot are sweet peas. I think. Or they are something else... The tender shoots in the blue pot are eating peas... The original peas outside produced some yummy pods and we've eaten them all up. I missed getting a few pods and they dried up, so I brought the peas from those pods inside and planted them. They are growing!

This is a tiny, tiny orange plant. We decided to try to sprout an orange seed from an orange we ate. So far it has sprouted and has three leaves. Next up. orange juice from our own orange tree! Or maybe next should be more leaves...

The sole surviving rose bush gave us some flowers earlier in the season and I forgot to de-head them so it would flower more. Oops. I went out last week and pruned off the seed pods left over. Then I carefully extracted the seeds and unceremoniously dumped them on a plate with lots of water. They paper towel keeps it from drying out as fast (I think) and you can kind of see the very middle seed is no longer a brownish color. It's more green because it is sprouting! Woo! I can plant my own rose bush! From a SEED! That is such the height of gardening to me right now.

I got some pictures of Jaedyn with our first real harvest from the garden an had fun playing with Picasa's effects.

A pepper plant I got from some sweet lady in Sugar Land (at the park!) grew three really decent peppers.

This lady had too many starts for her garden so she took the extras to the park in a little red wagon and handed them out to whoever wanted plants. I got two peppers and four tomato varieties. My one pepper plant is producing. One is on the verge of dying every other day and only one of the tomatoes has survived. It has no fruit so far.

Yum.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: