From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Toys!

I brought my lovely plants with me to Washington. Unfortunately they did not make it over two mountain ranges without severe damage... even death! I thought they had all died, and left the pots in a mourning heap at James'. I then bought some new plants at a community college sale. I got two Bergsmania, some Shamrocks and a Devil's something-or-other. I also planted some herbs as a Relief Society craft and bought the coolest Spiral Rush from Ikea.
Months later I noticed that my pots were looking quite sad and I needed something to hold my new plants (they were still in the plastic growing pots from the nursery I bought them in). So I brought my pots home. and then I noticed that Wonder of Wonders, Miracles of Miracles, my Spider Monkey plant that I got as a cutting from Janika is STILL ALIVE! IT's pictured in the center in a blue pot.
I was so happy that I hurried to repot my other plants and make my porch garden-like again. They look so much happier in pots. And I have two pots left over. I love and miss my pathos, so I'll have to get another and pu tit in the little white pot. THe emty blue one is for a fern. I will get one someday and grow it by the front door, in the shade of our entry way.


Here is Jaedyn and Dad with some of Jaedyn's favorite toys. We have a keyboard (so she can play computers with us), a book, a teething bear, a juggling ball (for baby weight lifting), a bag of sea creature bath toys, blocks, a dishwasher basket, teething ring, twig ball, rattle, and lady bug book / toy. Unpictured are her toothbrush and binkys.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Janika said...

I just cut 3 long shoots off of my pothos today, and I have none of the spider left. I still have all the cutting that were in your windowsill as well. The millions of hearts plant you gave me is doing much better now that it has direct sunlight and direct access to the Janika see at sink Janika water feature. Plants are so much better than dying cut flowers.

Unknown said...

I agree! I am also super happy that your plants are doing well. We will see how my little ones thrive while being outside... they (it - the spider plant) were always indoors... well I guess that particular pot with the spider plant was outside for a while and LOVED the sunshine. Hmm.
I am a little concerned that the Arren-see-around-the-house Arren-water feature is not directly accessible. I'll just have to leave my blinds open so I can see them.