From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Monday, August 24, 2009

Quickberry Quackberry, Pick me a BLACKBERRY!

two thousand coolness points to the person who knows where my post title came from.

Anyways. We have these HUGE blackberry brambles all over. We walk along one on our way to the part. We go to the part about 2-3 times a week. I am always kicking myself for not bringing along some container for the ripe blackberries we pass.

Today we fixed that!

Scott gathered the Lloyds from our ward and we all went blackberry picking. Benjamin is in my nursery class. He is SO cute.

I forgot about the thorns and Scott and I both wore flip-flops... and then Jaedyn grabbed a handfull of blackberry and smeared the sleeve of my white, very nice, work shirt! Oops... It's soaking in stain removers as I type.

We had a fun time. When we were done, we all trooped back and had homemade whole wheat bread and butter, warm from the bread machine with mashed fresh blackberries on top.

I didn't have my camera for the actual berry picking, but I'll be sure to go back and get pictures of the bushes.

1 comment:

Janika said...

WE used to go blackberry picking all the time when I lived in Nevada. You could get killed not having shoes and pants--nonetheless, I know the end results were well worth the agony.