From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Saturday, October 25, 2008

Wish List

There is no REAL reason to put this together, other than I never know what to tell people what I want for gift giving occasions. Like Christmas, Hanukkah, baby showers or my birthday... All of which are coming up soon.

BOOKS:(this is actually our official gift registry at Barnes and Noble's... only they don't have a registry so I can't give you a link.)
I Can Read books
Bearnstein Bears
Clifford
Caldecott books
Angellina Ballerina
Charlie and Lola
Dr. Seuss
Sweet Pickles books
Beatrix Potter (box set)
Baby Einstein Movies and CD's
Golden Books
What to Expect toddler / 1st year
CS Lewis (everything but Narnia, we already have that)
Girls Handbook by Miriam Peskowitz
Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Nursery Rymes illustrated my Margaret Evans Price


silicon bakeware (I want muffin tins, really)
Dyson Vacuum (our vacuum is old and does not work so well anymore)
Pots and pans - the kind you really can't ruin.
Mixer

2 comments:

Janika said...

Gold and silver have I none, but that which I have, I give you (smoochie, squeeze, and hand-me-downs). Love, love.

Ruth said...

Touchy feely books are great too. We really enjoy the Usborne brand.