From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Monday, September 29, 2008

Tagged by the lovely Lisa

Tagged by the lovely Lisa.
Here are the rules:
Link the person who tagged you.
Tell about 6 quirks of yours.
Tag 6 fellow bloggers to do the same.
Leave a comment to let them know.

1. When I get really hungry, I sneeze. The bigger the sneeze, the more I am hungry. It's almost like making my appetite real. Sometimes I don't even realize that I am hungry until I sneeze then it's like "Wow, I'm REALLY HUNGRY!"

2. I'm almost ashamed to admit this one... but I've seen so many other people do it that I cannot be too ashamed... I check out my reflection in just about anything shiny. Everyone else gets to see what I look like and I am always curious. "Do I have something on my face?" "How is my posture?" "Does this slip work?!" and most importantly "Do I look fat in this dress?"

3. I like wasabi covered peas. But my all time favorite food is probably macaroni and cheese... or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

4. I am very task oriented. And I zone into the project. Some co-workers have a hard time believing that I can get work done in an office space with no walls. I'm open to the whole office, but it really does not bother me. Plus it's very hard to sneak up on me when there are no walls.

5. So far I have better balance as a pregnant person. I can relevae and hold it better and go down the stairs faster... which is to say I can now go down the stairs at a normal pace. (Usually I have to hold tight to the hand rail and walk pretty slow) and all sorts of other minute differences I can't think of now. Also, the lower back pain that is usually a given if I stand up too long has not been back to bother me since I've been pregnant. Our chiropractor said it was the weight of the baby in front countering the lordosis (swayback). So there you have it.

6. I carry around two journals in my bags everyday. I have another in my church bag. And I have a Franklin Covey Day planner that I carry around all the time. Should you find me without something to write on it just might be the end of the world... But really I just like to have the option to write. I'd usually rather write it out than type it out.

Person 1. Scott
Person 2. Rhonda
Person 3. Janika
Person 4. Allison
Person 5. Michelle
Person 6. (shot in the dark) Quinn

2 comments:

James Quigley said...

uh... what were the questions...and good job not tagging me. HOmey don't play dat.

Janika said...

Thanks for that.