From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Thursday, September 4, 2008

beCAUSE

I wish I had a cause... I was looking at the website of one of the women I admire most. One of the families I admire most. They are just awesome!

She totally has a cause.

Then I was talking to a gal at work who has birthed a project, as she put it, and it was fun to see her enthusiasm. She has a cause.

I don't have anything I care enough about. I have many interests and hobbies, but no cause. I love to learn... but I'm not really putting any of it to use... *sigh*

I caught myself thinking that when I'm at home perhaps I'll find a cause. But honestly, I don't think I will. Gloria found a cause at work.. and if I can't find a cause in the environment that I spend the most time in.. I doubt that I will find one in an environment that I spend ALL my time in.

Perhaps I wish I had more support from Scott. I would totally be green if he didn't make fun of it/ that lifestyle.

Maybe I'm just mopey because I'm home alone.

Time to go purge / nest.

PS - We went to Wendy's the other day... I had forgotten how GOOD their fries are. I'm getting to be a fry connoisseur. I LOVE potatoes!!

1 comment:

Janika said...

What's worse than not having a cause? Having one and being completely unsuccessful at progressing toward it for any length of time. It has to be something that really, really matters to you. But that means you have to feel deeply enough to let something affect you that profoundly. That doesn't compartmentalize. Everything is made to fit into the one box of your ultimate purpose. Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, you think about it and how you can move toward it. Maybe depression or apathy is a lot easier than that sort of intensity. Personally, I'm afraid of being consumed by something I can't control, so I don't get too deep.