From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Saturday, April 12, 2008

Day one - does anyone else try to sound out the 'words' in the security check thingies?

I'm working on writing out my memories of yesterday. it was slow going yesterday. I wrote the date and took a nap. finished a few paragraphs and took a nap etc. SO I'm thinking I'll just scan it in when I'm done. I don't want to over exert myself with writing and typing :P

Also Speaking was really difficult with wads of bloody gauze in my mouth so I started writing out what I wanted to say. I'll have to scan that in too... I have to concentrate hard on spelling things correctly and I don't do well when I'm coming out of sedation, so the parts with a huge scribble is my frustration when Scott told me I spelled something wrong AGAIN!

ugh. Who asked him to criticize my efforts at communication anyhow? Jerk. :P

2 comments:

Bertie said...

LOL! Yes- who asked him?? I wouldn't correct you:) I hope you are feeling better today!

Janika said...

It was funny to hear your version and Scott's version of the bathroom collapse story. You looked like you were doing much better yesterday.