From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Wednesday, February 20, 2008

You may or may not be hearing more from me in the near future.

Scott is teaching the night classes at the Carrollton Massage institute. So he leaves when I come home and Comes home right in time for me to go to bed. I have the house all to myself. It's dangerous. I get stuck doing things that make me smile but ultimately make me gloomy and when I get gloomy from too much computing I get a little
masochistic . it's not a good place to be. So yesterday i went to the library and picked up some books. The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Charlotte by Jane Austin and Tracker by Robin Cook.

So mow I am set for a week or so. I started into the
Hitchhicker's Guide but when the library closed and I came home I grabbed my journal and spent the rest of the time, besides eating dinner, writing in my journal. Then Scott came home and James called and I stayed up WAY too late.

I was planning on making activities for myself so I won't fall into the computer/mutilation trap. It was very much lik when i was home by myself all day and had to come up with things to do. I'm limited in that I have no vehicle... I would totally crash some parties at friend's houses if I could get there :P

I think my journal may become filled up sooner than I thought it would. Except that I left it at work today. Boo! and we are in a time crunch handing off the car, so I couldn't make the 10 minute round trip back to pick it back up. I really feel as though there is something missing. I may have mentioned before but I take that journal with me everywhere a kid takes a security blanket.

Ummm, lemme see. No incredibly funny stories from work yet. Well none that anyone would understand... I can try to explain. When we submit a work order request and get e-mail confirmation, the "from" field says "bpam". So I was getting our Regional Controller a blackberry set up today, and as I was explaining the order of events before he can read e-mail on it... we have to wait for IT to call with a password. He asked if he should wait to her from B. Pam. And I totally didn't get it ... and then when I did I laughed real hard.

See, not so funny.

Last year for our anniversary we bought a peace lilly. it was pretty-er than the bouquets we saw and would last a lot longer too. Now it is on it's last leg. It died off and then started to grow again, and then it died again and I found out that it had root rot really bad. So I cut off the offending roots and stalks and re potted the two healthy leaves. They wilt before my eyes. Sigh. It has almost made it a whole year, and I'd say that is better than any bouquet I've had!

E-gad! It's not even 8PM yet... I think I will go read some more.

Call me, if you feel like a chat. I know I will feel like one.

1 comment:

Janika said...

I can't make outgoing calls right now, but feel free to call me anytime. Let me know if you need a pick-up, or have Scott drop you off here at any time--with or without a phone call.