From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Saturday, October 13, 2007

So today I had my first nose bleed.

I'm not sure if it's really something to celebrate... but it just goes to show that I'm not done with "firsts".

I've been fighting a cough and sinus drainage for a month now. Perhaps I'll break down one of these days and see if it's allergies. I really don't want to because I've never had allergies before and I don't want to have allergies now.

I have lost my voice because of the coughing and now, instead of coughing until the phlegm comes out I just give a "token" cough so it doesn't tickle.

Stop reading if you are squeamish.

Today I had to cough for real and a nice chunk came flying right out. I had to scrape it off the cabinet where it landed. EW!


Okay all you squeamish types... you can read again.

Scott went to a service project this morning and came home with a shopping bag full of fresh mint from the Coppell community garden. James helped me de-stem the leaves and I made up a big batch (1 gal) of mint tea. YUMMY!

I have started to come around to online bill pay. Starting this month my bills will be automated and electronic. Wish me luck.

I had a tough week. November is the end of our fiscal year at work and everyone is straining to get things done and ready for years end. Thus I have more projects. It's not a big deal. I like doing projects for everyone. HOWEVER, I have daily duties that are part of my job description. I am having less and less time to do them because of all the projects I'm picking up. So I had James assist me in streamlining some of my daily chores.

Monday we stayed up till midnight as he showed me how to do macros in excel. I asked to stop because I was really tired and i get up between 5 and 5:30 to work out. I need the little sleep I get. Especially with the stress I am under right now. So I got to work on Tuesday and was ready o start implementing the stuffs I had half learned. At 8:30 my boss comes over and gives me 3 projects that I have to have finished at the end of the day or at the end of the week. Cool. One of those projects was a powerpoint presentation. Every time I opened it to work on it, I would look up and 3 hours had passed. Oooops. The other two involved calling people, which I am not fond of doing, and gathering informations. I also had to worry about projects that were started months ago. So I had no time to work on my pet project in excel. The rest of the week was rinse and repeat. Evenings I would come home, and go to bed... I had dinner twice all week. Tuesday Scott and I started gathering things to decorate for Halloween, we both passed out before any real decorating began. Mornings I had to ask Crystal to stop early so I would not pass out from lack of food. Finally on Thursday night I had Scott get some groceries. I had a sweet chat with James, ate dinner and went to bed. Again after midnight. I went to bed after 11 every night this week!!! I'm SO tired. Friday James and Scott brought me dinner at work and we got my excel projects started. I came home and went to bed, they went to play volleyball.

I really wanted to play volleyball. I shaved my legs and was so ready. But I was way too tired. Today my goal was to sleep all day!

So I got up at 8, which is sleeping in for me. I picked up the house and went back to bed. I got up again at 11:30 when Jessey came in and started licking my hair. Normally I think it's cute when our cats "groom" us. This morning Jessey swallowed a clump of hair and spit it out on my face. It was all wet and cat-breath-y. So I got up. I did laundry. All of the laundry in our apartment. It took all day and Texas Tech beating A&M 34 - 7 to get it done.

Now I am writing in my blog. and when I am done I will get my Sunday school lesson done and go to sleep.

Okay I'm done. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Bertie said...

Arren- you are just like me on the allergy thing- I have never had them, and anytime I'm sick and everyone else around me has allergies-- and they say- maybe it is allergies- I always say- NO- I DO NOT have allergies...! LOL!

Hope your Sunday is more relaxing!