From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Wednesday, October 17, 2007

How could yo...uh...why...NOOOOOOO!

SO before I was finished writing the previous post, James comes in and calls a family meeting. Well Scott was gone so it was just bro and sister at this family meeting.

He is moving to Washington.

This is me trying REALLLLLY hard to stay happy. I'm am so proud of him and his growth and what he has learned and that he is doing the most right thing.

But I'm also a selfish little sister.

I have had a big brother for a year now. That's it. From one fall season to another fall season. September to November... after 21 years of waiting! How is that fair?! Just a year and already my child/playthings are taken away and held hostage in Washington. Now my bestest big brother is leaving me too. I will officially have NO family in the town where I live... which by the way is about as large as London. And there will be only two people in the house.

But it's really the very best thing that he could be doing right now.

I fantasize that I could volunteer to move up there with him.

However that would backfire is so many ways. The worst is that it would create the exact opposite reaction from Jenny then he is wanting.

So no dramatic moves across the country to a cold climate where it will actually snow... bummer :P

On the up side... He looks so much better now that he knows what he is doing, and has a spiritual confirmation (and my testimony that it's correct) that his choice is good.

Physically he looks softer. It's weird.

I could tell he was struggling with something. It was not even a case of 'sister intuition'... He looked horrible. Like he was sick, yellowish and almost pickelish. Yes, he looked like a pickle.

I asked him several times what was wrong. I got answers... and it was all stuff I could have guessed. Work was stressful today, worried about the divorce blah blah blah.

I asked if there was anything I could do... Nope, not really. He ate dinner before he came home... he is not thirsty. He just wants to play a gammie... (and dude, I'm never very helpful when it comes to playing computer games) all to no avail.

Then Monday he came home and he was clean looking and clean smelling. After a full day of work, when I asked for a hug, he smelled like he just got out of the shower and put on clothes fresh from the wash. And he didn't look like a pickle anymore. and he was relaxed. and happy.

It made me calm down a bit too. I was not worrying about him.

I truly have the most amazing brothers ever.

No doubt that I will miss him like crazy, but promised him I would not get pissy and moody because he is leaving or when he leaves. So I won't.

No comments: