From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Tuesday, November 30, 2010

List of Birthday Presents

I got a whole loot.

Mom got me a griddle and Scott got me some running pants and I got me some art supplies and tights* and socks and um... I thought there was more. There was certainly more shopping involved. Oh, I got a teacup from Goodwill with birthday money and various Christmas gifts for people at the stores while I was shopping for myself on Black Friday. So there was more purchasing than presents.
Then today I got a present in the mail from my brother**! He got me a beautiful watch, which I needed.

Um, I really, really NEVER thought I'd go out and purposefully buy tights of my own volition that were not related to dancing. But I have short-ish skirts and boots and when I don't shave.. well I'd rather buy tights than have to maintain you know, hygiene. Sheese. So I totally bought some cute, textured white tights.

** Who is awesome!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Happy Birthday Arren! I feel like a total tool for forgetting to say that on your ACTUAL birthday.

I remembered on the 26th, but in my efforts to wait until the 28th I messed up...

Oops...forgive me?

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!