From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Sunday, July 19, 2009

Singing

Ugh. So I have some severe critiques.
I need to remember stage presence.
I don't have a spot light to blame for the deer in the headlights look...
Gah.
Smile, remember how?
And wow I was flat for a good chunk of the performance.
But here is the video... it was taken of our rehearsal before the meeting. The actual song was worse!!!
I'm disappointed with my performance, but glad I did it. I'm also glad I got a video so I could see what I looked like. And sounded like. I have been battling sinus pressure and drainage all week so I could only barely hear myself sing. I'd like to think that if I could hear, I would not have been so flat. But really it probably would have been just as bad.
Well Grandpa. I've started singing again. I hear that the music lady at church is always looking for people who can sing to do musical numbers and that I will likely be getting a call to do so again. I kinda hope so. I can't improve without trying again.


well it's been 12 hours and the video has not loaded. If you are interested click here to view.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Well, at least there's next time!

Ok, that's what I would have said if I agreed with your self-critique. But, I don't! Arren, you were FANTASTIC! I only heard one 'oops' part towards the end. Plus, when you switched it up, that was a big note change! Stop being so hard on yourself and give yourself some more credit! Great job!

Janika said...

The arrangement was pretty. Your voices blended beautifully. Once you are in the swing of it you will be more comfortable with the upper register. Keep it up!