From Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale

People disappear when they die. Their voices, their laughter, the warmth of their breath. Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All living mempry of them ceases. This is both dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is an exception to this annihilation. For in the books they write they continut to exist. We can rediscover them. Their humour, their tone of voice, their moods. Through the written word they can anger you or make you happy. They can comfort you. They can perplex you. They can alter you. All this, even though they are dead. Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.

--Diane Setterfield



Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Birthday to ME

My mom got me an awesome birthday and Christmas gift. A Dyson Vaccum!

She was not able to drive up, but she wired me the money and Scott and I bought the vacuum here. I was so excited because my birthday was on Black Friday this year. I looked up all the shops I could think of to see if they would have a big sale on the one we wanted. Sears was the only place that showed the DC25animal AND said they had it in stock at the mall.
We got up early, well early-ish, and drove out to Southlake to check Sharper Image. I had forgotten to check their website.

They were closed, are closed. They even had a 'for rent' sign in the window. So no sale there. While we were in Southlake we checked out Home Depot and Lowes. Both stores were not as busy as I thought they would be. They also both had Dyson's, but not the DC25 animal. So we went across the street to Kohl's. They were packed! The line wraped through the store half way around the back. It was difficult to even GET to the vacuums. Once again they only had 'other' Dysons.

We left Southlake and stopped by the Sear's Outlet, but they only had big appliances. Finally we went to the mall and found the DC25 animal right away. They even had a floor sample that I tried out for about 2 seconds before telling the sales man "I'm sold". Even though the store was crowded there was a register right next to the vacuums and we didn't even have to wait. Our sales guy rung us up and the vacuum was on sale so I had enough money in hand for it. Then I got another suprise.

Because we bought a Dyson, I also got a $50 gift card! Woo hoo!

When we got home, the missionaries were waiting at our place to say hi. We had a nice chat and when they left Scott got to work gettting the vacuum set up.

Then I started. The floor was disgusting, but hard to capture in a picture. However you can see the before and after on the couch.



And you can see after just vacumming the nursery, how much cat hair there is to clean up from our kitties.And you can see how well my new toy worked. We practically filled the trash can.

Thanks mom, this was a great gift!

2 comments:

Janika said...

I was out of town, or I would have read your blog sooner. You would think I should know when your birthday was, but all I ever do for anyone on their birthday is say "Happy Birthday" It would have been fun to hang out, but I was in MO watching Twilight with my daughters and honey, and you already saw it. Oh well, it looks like you did fine without me. I'm really happy for you about the vac.

Unknown said...

That's Nasty, But Awesome!